After being cancelled due to rain last year, the Newtown Memorial Day Parade is set to step off at 9 a.m. Monday.
The popular community parade, which is put on by the Morell Smith American Legion Post 440, will march from the Commons West Building on Newtown-Yardley Road. The parade will make its way through Newtown before ending at the Morell Smith American Legion Post 440 on Linden Avenue.
The parade will feature veterans, community groups, emergency responders and the Council Rock High School North marching band.
Lifetime Newtownian Stan Matthews, a World War II veteran, will serve as the grand marshal for the parade.
Newtown Borough police released the following information on parking in town:
Temporary No Parking
Starting at 8 a.m. Monday, May 29
- South Elm Avenue between Washington Avenue and Centre Avenue
- Centre Avenue between Lincoln Avenue and Congress Street
- South Congress Street between Centre Avenue and Washington Avenue
- State Street between Greene Street Street Centre Avenue
Road Closure begin at 8:45 a.m.
- Washington Avenue between Terry Drive and Sycamore Street
- Lincoln Avenue between Greene Street and Penn Street
- State Street between Jefferson Avenue and Centre Avenue
- Centre Avenue
- Congress Street
Parking is available in the Municipal Parking lots. Allow extra time if you are travelling through Historic Newtown during this most solemn day of respect.