Cops, Courts and Fire

Dog Killed In Condo Fire

Firefighters from multiple local departments worked hard early Wednesday morning to put down a fire inside an condo building.

According to a Newtown Township first responder, no residents were injured in the blaze that was dispatched at 1:21 a.m. in the 2500 block of Society Place. Police at the scene arrived to find heavy fire on the interior of the dwelling, an Instagram post from Newtown Fire Association noted.

A Go Fund Me site set up to help the victim get back on his feet notes that a great dane mix breed dog named Murphy perished due to conditions from the fire. The dog, according to the fundraising account, was not in its usual spot when the condo resident awoke to find flames. He searched for the dog and even went back into the residence three times before firefighters arrived and retrieved the dog.

“[Firefighters] tried to revive Murphy for 15 minutes but he died from smoke inhalation,” the Go Fund Me description reads.

The cause of the fire and the extent of damage was not immediately clear.

Crews from the Lingohocken, Northampton and Upper Makefield fire companies assisted the Newtown Fire Association at the scene. The Newtown Ambulance Squad also was on the scene.

For more information on how to help the fire victim, click here.

About the author

Tom Sofield

Tom Sofield

Tom Sofield has covered news in Bucks County for five years for both newspaper and online publications. In 2012, Tom was honored at the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association Foundation's Keystone Press Awards for his coverage of President Obama's visit to Falls Township in 2011. When he's not covering news in the area, Tom enjoys checking out the newest restaurants and bars, exploring forgotten places of industry in the area, going to local parks and spending time with his friends and family. If there's one thing you should know about Tom, he is a local news junkie through and through. Email: Phone: 215-431-1001